Skip to main content


                 MAROONED.
My father has
Never been celebrated.
He will never be
Remembered for the
Old TV that he bought
Above his means
After beating up
His burly, deviant customer.
It is not that
My father has never
Answered me anytime I
Scream 'papa' after school,
When my detractors clamour
For my naive neck.
There is just no need
For the horse to collapse
If the race has been lost.
If you look closely,
He has never breastfed
I and my errant siblings.
Father does not know
How the stove works,
And he is the enemy
Of the old broom
Behind the door
To the soot-caked kitchen.
My father is useless
When mother is pregnant.
And he is quick to stamp
His feet and
Declare food tasteless.
Food that he does not
Know which ingredients
Were used to cook,
Ingredients that he can't
Find his way to the
Market stall where
They were bought
At prices ridiculously
Loftier than the
Pennies he threw at mama
When he was leaving for
His rascal's job at the motor park.
My father has to
Redeem his image.
That job of
His is his undoing.
It makes him
Blind to what
My brothers say when
He leaves home.
We rejoice that he
Has hit the road again,
And we think that the next
Knock will be his association
Bearing news of his death
On the highways,
News that will grant us
Access to the devil's box
On our old shelve
That father colonises
Because
He is marooned
And lonely and sad
And weak and tired
And fighting for
Being misunderstood.
   Written by GAD
*********************

My Father! My Father!     
 The pillar of strength and Tenacity, dauntless and Formidable in his ways.   
 Towering mountains may stand bragging         
   Tough times may persist like malaria symptoms
till they challenge my Father, and meet with their doom.                           
   Not like he has 6-pack abs to show for all these, in fact, his pot-belly tells it all but when he sets his mind at something, he gets it done. 
  An easy going man, though gentle as a Dove,  could also be as ferocious as a Lion if anyone dare harm any of his precious children, not to speak of his darling wife, then, all hell will break loose   
   Never met a man who quarrels  more with his wife than my Father, yet loves her much more . It is easy to know when the two are at loggerheads, because that’s when Father calls her all sorts of pet names. At such times, he comes home with fresh Ugwu leaves(Mother’s favored vegetable), presents her as though they were bouquet of Rose flowers with which he was wooing her from scratch. We the children have learnt to leave them settle their differences, come into it, and watch them join forces, heap bricks of rebuke on you, with which they mend their broken bridge.         
 
    If you see this two express love in the simplest way there can be, you will be forced to overlook their faults. After all, even lovebirds peck at each other at times.

What man would turn his back on friends and even families, if they ever got involved in Shady deal? That’s my Father. ‘A good name is better than silver and gold,’ he says.

‘There is dignity in labour,’ he preaches and lives by sweating his ass off to give his best, which might not be enough. However, in most cases, was his widow's mite.

I cannot say my Father is one in a million, but I can sure say he is the best there can be.

Love you always, my Father.       
                             
💓💓💓
Written by Olagoke
        

Comments

  1. Brilliant. Reminds me so much of my Dad. Do children still have dads that have ' good name is better than gold ' mentality these days?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

RUFAI OSENI: KNOWING THE MAN Rufai Oseni                                                     INTRODUCTION Call him a multi talented personality and you would absolutely be right. We took time out to get close and personal with the man behind the distinct voice that leaves you glued to your radio, Inspiration 92.3 fm. Admin: Who is Rufai Oseni? Rufai Oseni : Rufai Oseni is a man of many parts author of 3 books and studied animal physiology and, a radio presenter of over 15 years (having worked with the BBC and other media organizations). An actor and a public speaker. I started my career of 15 years ago working at JFM radio warri, I have since worked in over 5 Radio stations across the 6 geopolitical zones of Nigeria. II also had a brief time working with the BBC in Bush house London and I still cover Nigerian stories for the BBC in Bristol. I have done several stage plays in different theaters around Nigeria and other smaller productions.  Recently returned from a
ATTENTION! ATTENTION! ATTENTION!  Don't worry this is not an alarm but I know it is worth your time. Have you ever come across little children who actually make use of vulgar languages like it was their nursery rhyme? It Beats your imagination, right? I have often wondered myself, who takes responsibility for this looseness? or is it just me that happens to be outdated? Hmmm, pardon me ooo. In retrospect, I remember growing up, there were places and words that were prohibited thus as a part of training, our association with friends were well checkmated. To a great extent, it really prevented some excesses, here and there. Time is evolving, likewise our norms. There is so much laxity now. Who is to blame? Parents? Teachers?Guardian? Whatever the case may be, there are loopholes and those loopholes must be attended to. We cannot afford to loose our children as a result of our own carelessness. These children are precious jewel we must keep, well protected and secured. We must be u
                     'TELL EJIRO'!✍      Yayyy! I'm so excited! Thank God, It's Friday.  So Ejiro Inspirational Blog launches it's fresh and new column tagged :   'Tell Ejiro'✍ . This will run every Friday, so your comments on various subjects discussed will be published every Friday on 'Ejiro Inspirational Blog'.  So our First subject of discourse this Friday boarders around the question:  Would you prefer your child/ward to attend school as a Day Student or as a Boarding House Student?  Drop your comment here.👇