Skip to main content

She sat behind her laptop frantically searching google and drenched with crazy thoughts of the best brand name to project her latest discovery.... Saint David... Mama's kids, Teens Styles ......... Hmnn!.......

2011 highlighted all sorts. NSE market plunge, global depression, #occupy territories and stories of suicidal financiers who had explored the stock markets and lost literally everything...

Meanwhile, somewhere in suburban Lagos, a young lady was stifled and utterly depressed with the wrong decision to resign from a hot spot position as a Senior Investment Officer @ Cowry Asset Management to a full-time  domestic officer.😄... due to medical challenges. 

Mr. Obinna Onunkwo returned from work one evening in mid November exasperated at the tones of fabrics collected for the several society weddings that would occur in 3 weekends intermittently. "Why can't men just wear anything"... he spoke aloud... and let the women worry about asoebi... Why at this period when everyone is busy..." Now who will sew my clothes... ". 

I didn't share his worries... Nor that I cared less.... I was more self indulged in my fat unkempt look of 110kg ... How would I showcase myself in that crowd of expensive chic, slim - fit and dazzling society friends and acquaintances.... No! Not possible!. My mind was made up....I quickly whipped up a new plan. 

The next few days got me working. I made some sketches and called on my seamstress. Collected some pieces from my husband's fabrics and made very simple outfits for my daughters. I had chosen to decline the invite and asked my husband to take his two willing and active daughters to attend the occasion. 

I was absolutely intrigued by the remarks from friends on their return that weekend. It was pretty late whilst I settled the girls into bed. The girls kept asking, why people loved their outfits and had to take pictures of them. "Mummy they asked if you made our dress"...They all loved it...."! 

In the living room, my husband expressed his irritation and amusement simultaneously. As we both sat together in the living room lost in each other's thoughts, He spoke our thoughts out loud...maybe you should try your hands on fashion Hon... who knows... ! I smiled. 

An opportunity presented itself. I got an info from their school on the Xmas funfair a few days later and paid for a table. 

Whilst I bused my time with sketches and fabrics to compliment my designs, my seamstress ensured every stitch was in place. We produced 32 pieces of girl clothes in record time. 

I had just 4more days to get a name for my stand. 

....... frantically searching google and drenched with crazy thoughts of the best brand name to project her latest discovery.... Saint David... Mama's kids, Teens Styles ......... Hmnn!.......

Then God made it happen. I heard a whisper... Weavers... Then Little Children's... 
Atlas! Little Weavers!!! I quickly googled and searched but saw only the generic name for birds found in Sub-Saharan regions in Africa. 
I called on an old IT friend and she took me through steps of paying for a domain name quickly. 

Interesting! The 1st Little Weavers birdie to design clothes.... 😂...The funfair sales was unimpressive..... So I thought.... I sold 22 pieces and felt bad I didn't empty my stand... I had even received bespoke orders from parents. That didn't seem to cut it for me until my husband opened my hindsight to an opportunity and promised to support my plans. 

So.... armed with my plans ... and family support, I cleared out the mini garage at my parent's place, sold all my shares, utilized the only N50k I had available on me... got my seamstress's machine and started... 

The story has never been the same again.... 

Within one year (2012), with the loans and family support received, this enabled us purchase machines on a monthly basis, acquired a few more skilled hands and procure the basic marketing paraphernalia for the business start-up. 

We eventually opened to the public on 29th May, 2013 at the new Leisure mall, Adeniran Ogunsanya in Surulere. We are literally 3years in business and the experience has been amazing.
                                   
      Ini Onunkwo.
                               
                             

 BETIWIN Ltd:     Property     Consultant
                
                 Bettiwin Limited
                142 Old Ojo Road
                   Pako B/Stop
                   Agboju-Amuwo
                   Lagos
                   Tel: 234(0)8033021218
    E-mail: winadegor@yahoo.com

SHAWNBEE EVENT MANAGEMENT
Let's help you manage your events...
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!
For enquiry:
08100993270.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RUFAI OSENI: KNOWING THE MAN Rufai Oseni                                                     INTRODUCTION Call him a multi talented personality and you would absolutely be right. We took time out to get close and personal with the man behind the distinct voice that leaves you glued to your radio, Inspiration 92.3 fm. Admin: Who is Rufai Oseni? Rufai Oseni : Rufai Oseni is a man of many parts author of 3 books and studied animal physiology and, a radio presenter of over 15 years (having worked with the BBC and other media organizations). An actor and a public speaker. I started my career of 15 years ago working at JFM radio warri, I have since worked in over 5 Radio stations across the 6 geopolitical zones of Nigeria. II also had a brief time working with the BBC in Bush house London and I still cover Nigerian stories for the BBC in Bristol. I have done several stage plays in different theaters around Nigeria and other smaller productions.  Recently returned from a
ATTENTION! ATTENTION! ATTENTION!  Don't worry this is not an alarm but I know it is worth your time. Have you ever come across little children who actually make use of vulgar languages like it was their nursery rhyme? It Beats your imagination, right? I have often wondered myself, who takes responsibility for this looseness? or is it just me that happens to be outdated? Hmmm, pardon me ooo. In retrospect, I remember growing up, there were places and words that were prohibited thus as a part of training, our association with friends were well checkmated. To a great extent, it really prevented some excesses, here and there. Time is evolving, likewise our norms. There is so much laxity now. Who is to blame? Parents? Teachers?Guardian? Whatever the case may be, there are loopholes and those loopholes must be attended to. We cannot afford to loose our children as a result of our own carelessness. These children are precious jewel we must keep, well protected and secured. We must be u
                     'TELL EJIRO'!✍      Yayyy! I'm so excited! Thank God, It's Friday.  So Ejiro Inspirational Blog launches it's fresh and new column tagged :   'Tell Ejiro'✍ . This will run every Friday, so your comments on various subjects discussed will be published every Friday on 'Ejiro Inspirational Blog'.  So our First subject of discourse this Friday boarders around the question:  Would you prefer your child/ward to attend school as a Day Student or as a Boarding House Student?  Drop your comment here.👇